- ABOUT -
Hello! I’m Chantelle Hoffmann, the hand behind Bespoke Strokes Calligraphy.
I like to tell people that I am like a professional plagiarizer. Through the art of calligraphy, I write the words of others giving them an additional layer of elegance to the beauty that is already there. We can work with your love story to create a family heirloom or piece of art that will be a daily reminder of the love that founded your relationship. For some couples this takes the form of a Shakespeare-worthy love letter, and for others it may be a few short words engraved on a bottle of whiskey (that would by my husband's love language by the way). Every couple and love story is so unique…. and so are the pieces we’ll create to reflect them!
When I’m not in the studio, you will find me with my two young sons and husband – likely pulling blackberries or trying to figure out how to work a tractor on our new soon-to-be-farm in the Pacific Northwest. It's a wonder my hands are permanently stained by ink stains and soil!
Thank you for visiting my site. I would be honored to be your partner in creating something "bespoke" just for you.
My lettering journey
I took my first series of calligraphy courses as a young teen. There was no looking back once I made that first wobbly thick & thin stroke and discovered this was an art that my left-brained, analytical mind could grasp!
Skip forward a decade. I left my corporate job at Microsoft, and moved with my family to a small English village. While living there I began to ramp up my calligraphic study and joined the Oxford Scribes Calligraphy Guild. Three weeks after my second son was born, my post-birth hormones thought it was a great idea to officially launch a business and Bespoke Strokes Calligraphy was born. Sleep deprivation has been an element of my work ever since. (I joke…but maybe not entirely)
In 2014 I joined the International Association of Master Penmen Engrossers and Teachers of Handwriting (IAMPETH) and have had the opportunity to learn from a number of Master Penmen and incredible calligraphers through this organization.
In 2016 we moved back to my Seattle hometown, sadly putting an end to our dreamy time abroad, but also reuniting us with a part of the world that is so dear to us. Shortly after, I added engraving services to my calligraphic offerings and also began partnering with a number of luxury brand retailers.
And the adventure continues.... I actively pursue learning opportunities and am always looking for ways to better serve the world around me through the gift of beautiful script.
A Few Random Facts:
- Our time living in England left me an obnoxious Anglophile. I annoy even myself sometimes, but it can’t be helped. I’ll share a picture here of where we lived and you’ll understand. Life is never the same once you’ve lived in Henley-on-Thames.
- I rarely watch movies and haven't been to the cinema in over a year. Why? There are usually a good 4,452,753 things that I am dying to work on, learn, or listen to instead (aka all those podcasts I discovered 10yrs after they started).
- Ways I’ve been known to try keep warm:
- I used to hoard MRE heaters when I was in the Army to stuff in my jacket while out in the field. Not the safest idea, but it did the trick.
- I drink 5-6 mugs of tea daily
- Adult footie-pj's….I may or may not own a pair